Punjab: SGGSU Vice Chancellor shot at
Fatehgarh Sahib, Punjab: In a shocking incident, the Vice Chancellor of the newly-established Fatehgarh Sahib-based Sri Guru Granth Sahab World University (SGGSU), Dr Jasbir Singh Ahluwalia was shot outside his office by unidentified men on Monday.
As 75-year-old Ahluwalia stepped out of his office at around 1530 hrs on Monday, a man fired at him and fled, police said. The attacker was wearing a blue turban and had flowing beard, they said.
Blood was found splattered at the scene as top police and district officials arrived at the university.
The motive behind the attack on Ahluwalia is yet unknown.
Following the incident, the varsity was cordoned off by the police. A case under various sections of the Indian Panel Code (IPC) was registered against the assailant.
Ahluwalia was rushed to Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh, 40 kilometres away from Fatehgarh Sahab. He has been admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of PGIMER. He is said to be in critical condition.
"He was unconscious when he was brought there. His condition is critical. Luckily, the bullets have not entered his brain. A bullet has pierced through his jaw,” a doctor attending him said.
"We are constantly monitoring his condition," he added.
Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President Amarinder Singh condemned the attack on Ahluwalia and said no one was feeling safe in Punjab.
"This is a reprehensible act and must be condemned by one and all," he said and demanded immediate arrest of the culprit.
Dr Alhuwalia, a former IAS officer is the founding Vice Chancellor of the University set up by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC– the body that oversees major Sikh shrines all across the country), also known as ‘the mini-parliament of Sikh religion’.
SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar is the Chancellor of the university that was inaugurated on July 25 by Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets