Punjab to become power surplus state by year-end: Badal
Bassi Pathaana: Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday said that owing to the various steps undertaken by the SAD-BJP government, Punjab would become a power surplus state by the year end.
"Days are not far when instead of spending heavily on purchasing power, the state will be selling power to other states," Badal said while addressing a gathering after inaugurating the upgraded 220KW Power Grid here.
He pointed out that there was a 30 per cent power deficit when the SAD-BJP alliance assumed power in the state in 2007 mainly because its "predecessors" had never bothered to augment the power supply.
Badal claimed that the SAD-BJP government laid thrust on bringing new power projects to the state and there were three thermal power plants in the pipeline.
On the compensation granted by the Central government to flood victims in the state, Badal said it`s a "cruel joke" with the people. He said though he had requested the Prime Minister as well as the Union Home Ministry to hike the grant, there was no positive response from them.
He said that none of the Central minister even bothered to visit the state to give any grant to the flood-affected.
Asked about Congress` allegations that the state was on the verge of an economic slump, he said, "The Punjab Congress leaders must introspect and look into the deplorable economic condition of the country under the UPA regime... That would help the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray