Punjab to cover entire population under `Aadhaar`
Chandigarh: Punjab has decided to cover its entire population under the `Aadhaar` project and a timeframe of March next year has been fixed for the same.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, in a meeting with UIDAI chairman Nandan Nilekani at his official residence here, said the state government was committed for timely implementation of the `Aadhaar` project in the state.
To check fraudulent payments to the bogus beneficiaries, the government has already decided to disburse pension and financial assistance under various welfare schemes through electronic benefit scheme of banks, he said.
On this occasion, Nilekani told Badal that the basic objective of `Aadhaar` was to ensure that benefits of welfare schemes reach to its genuine beneficiaries.
He further informed that in many states, the `Aadhaar` card has already been accepted as a valid document for identification to get financial assistance under various pension and scholarship schemes, besides in PDS, LPG connections and registration of land deeds.
Lauding the governance reforms initiated in Punjab, Nilekani said such decisions should also be taken by other states to ensure prompt and hassle-free delivery of services.
Expressing satisfaction over pace of the project in the state, Nilekani hoped Punjab will emerge as a front runner in implementation of the project.
Food and Civil Supply Minister Adesh Partap Singh Kairon said that nearly one crore population has been covered under `Aadhaar` project and the remaining 2.77 crore will be covered by March next year.
He said that a data hub is being developed in the state to ensure uniform distribution of welfare scheme under one roof, besides monitoring its progress regularly.
To ensure speedy and transparent disbursement of pensions, the state will soon launch a pilot project in Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar, Fatehgarh Sahib and Gurdaspur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing