Punjab to crack down on absentee teachers
Chandigarh: Teachers on the rolls of Punjab`s education department who have been absent from their duty here for several years, some even settling in other countries, will now face the axe.
Beginning with the first lot, the education department has dismissed 206 teachers and staff from service for remaining absent for the past many years, Education Minister S.S. Maluka said here Sunday.
Some of the teachers had been absent from duty for over 10 years, he said.
"The teachers, including 166 master cadre, 25 Sarv Siksha Abhiyan teachers, 6 computer teachers and nine non-teaching employees, have been dismissed," Maluka said.
He said that the Director General School Education (DGSE), Kahan Singh Pannu was asked to prepare a master plan to deal with the absentee staff and teachers.
Pannu said that almost 1,100 complaints have been received against absentee teachers. He said these were being scrutinized and the guilty teachers would face strict action.
Strict action would be taken against the teachers and employees who fail to resume their duties, he said.
"In future, before sanctioning the ex-India leave, an affidavit from the applicant would be taken to the effect that the services would be dismissed in case they fail to resume their duty well in time."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi