Punjab to set up creches for children of women prisoners
Chandigarh: The Punjab government has decided to set up creches for children of women prisoners aged below six years, the state jail minister said on Thursday.
Sarwan Singh Phillaur, who visited the Patiala Central Jail today, said the government was working with several NGOs to chalk out modalities for child care centres in six jails.
The centres would be on the lines of the one already existing in the Patiala jail, he said, adding that the move will help in imparting due care to these children.
Phillaur asked the officials to initiate the pre-release cases of the prisoners on priority to ensure that the entitled prisoners are not kept in waiting.
He said all prisoners with good conduct will be transferred to their home towns at the earliest.
The minister said that the government will formulate a plan to impart job-oriented skills among the inmates to enable them earn a livelihood after their release.
On the issue security, he said CCTV cameras have been installed in 7 Central jails and 6 district jails to monitor jail premises and movement of prisoners, and the remaining jails will also be covered soon.
Jammers are also being installed in jails to check use of mobile phones by inmates, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US