Punjab to train one lakh youths in vocational skil
Chandigarh: Punjab government has finalised a comprehensive programme to impart employable skills to one lakh youths of the state every year and ensure their placement or guide them in self employment ventures.
A high-level meeting presided over by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal gave the final touches to the skill development programme, an official spokesman said on Sunday.
Technical institutes have to weed out obsolete trades and focus on only those that were required by the industry and could assure placement to the youth being trained there.
It was informed in the meeting that there were 111 government and 294 private ITIs in the state providing training to over 64,000 youth every year.
Expressing concern over the low placement rate of ITIs, Badal said focus should be on those skills that would provide ready employment to the youth or could enable them to start self-employment ventures.
Badal asked Principal Secretary Technical Education SS Channi to put up a concept paper of improving placement in the ITIs by involving renowned private companies in the training period according to their skill requirement so that these students could be easily absorbed.
Concerned about decreasing number of students opting for science stream in +1 and +2 exams, Badal asked B Purshartha, Director Technical Education, to put up a proposal in which every ITI would have a +1 and +2 school in its own campus for science stream students.
He also asked to explore the possibility of the neighbourhood concept under which every ITI or engineering college would be asked to adopt 10 to 15 schools in their command area. They would provide education to the science stream students and after their +2 these students would shift to neighbourhood ITIs or polytechnics.
Emphasising on training of 30,000 heavy vehicle drivers every year, Badal said there was lot of demand for such people and tie ups need to be made to supply the market adequately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened