Punjab to withdraw unauthorised security from VIPs
Chandigarh: VIPs and influential people flaunting police security in Punjab may have to shed some of it with Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Monday ordering that all "unauthorised" security personnel be withdrawn from them.
At a meeting of the Punjab Police top brass here on Monday, Sukhbir Badal, who is also the state`s home minister, took strong exception to unauthorised gunmen, beyond the sanctioned strength of the security wing, given to those under protection.
Badal asked Director General of Police (DGP) Sumedh Singh Saini to ensure that all unauthorised gunmen return to their units. He said the unit commanders should certify by Tuesday that they have not given any unauthorised gunmen to anyone.
Giving a strong warning to all district police chiefs (senior superintendents of police), Badal said it was their duty to maintain command and control and to keep all police officials under discipline.
"He said that he would not tolerate collusion of any police personnel in illegal possession of property, especially of NRIs, besides lodging of any false case against any innocent. He said that he has asked the DGP to shift out all SHOs/DSPs (station house officers/deputy superintendents of police) who were posted in district since last five years," a police spokesman said here.
"He said that no SSP (senior superintendent of police) would be allowed to take his baggage of favuorite SHOs/DSPs along with him on his transfer," the spokesman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened