Punjab transporters to go on indefinite strike from April 5
Jalandhar: Transporters in Punjab on Saturday said
they would go on indefinite strike from April 5 to protest the
recent hike in diesel prices.
"Landing cost of diesel is Rs 17.40 per litre only
whereas the selling cost is almost double the landing cost.
The government increased the price of diesel but provides
subsidy on kerosene, which is heavily used for adulteration
purpose," Punjab State Goods Transporters Association
President Bhupinder Singh Pandher told reporters here.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the Budget 2010-11
had raised customs duty on petrol and diesel to 7.5 per cent
from 2.5 per cent while excise duty by Re 1 a litre to Rs
14.35 and Rs 4.60 per litre on non-branded (normal) petrol and
diesel respectively. Petrol and diesel prices went up by Rs
2.71 a litre and Rs 2.55 per litre, respectively, after the
The association demanded immediate withdrawal of the
increased duty should be rolled back.
For the last one decade, transporters were demanding
single national permit and the Union government even agreed to
the demand, but it was not notified so far, Singh rued.
Criticising both the Union and state governments for
imposing toll taxes on almost all main roads, Singh quipped
"we have provided the exchequer of Rs 2,28,000 crore by way
of cess on diesel since 1996 and government must clarify how
it was utilised?"
Charan Singh Lohara, former President of All India Motor
Transport Congress, said "We have given a notice to the
government that if the genuine demands of the transporters
are not met before March 31, we will be left with no
alternative but to close our operations from the midnight of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi