Rahul`s statement on drug addiction is `immature`: Sukhbir
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Friday termed as "immature" the statement of Rahul Gandhi on drug addiction among youths in Punjab, and said he made the remarks to divert attention from various scams.
"The immature statement by the Congress general secretary that 7 out of 10 youths in Punjab are drug addicts was a diversionary exercise to deflect the attention of media from ongoing Vadragate and Coalgate," Sukhbir said here.
With such statement, Sukhbir said, Rahul had insulted youths of Punjab.
Dubbing Rahul`s Punjab visit as "purely a political exercise", the SAD leader said, "By making this statement, he (Rahul) has tried to cover up the internal contradictions and infighting in the Punjab unit of Congress."
Rahul, addressing a rally organised by the National Students Union of India (NSUI) at Panjab University campus here yesterday had said, "what is happening to human resources in Punjab. 7 out of 10 youth have the problem of drugs."
Sukhbir held Union Home Ministry under whose command Border Security Force operates responsible for increase in trans-border smuggling of drugs and ammunition.
"Punjab cannot be blamed for increasing flow of drugs as BSF has failed to check the inflow of drugs," he said.
He claimed that drug recoveries by Punjab police during last five years were more than 50 per cent of national recovery.
"It is imperative for Union Government to properly seal the border with Pakistan to check the menace of smuggling of drugs, ammunitions and fake currency," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!