Rahul`s visit to Punjab university kicks up row
Chandigarh: Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi`s scheduled visit to Panjab University campus tomorrow tomorrow for an interaction with students has kicked up a row.
Students organisations are divided on whether or not Rahul should be allowed to hold a rally in the university campus.
The visit has been organised by the National Students Union of India (NSUI), the students` wing of Congress party.
Gandhi is scheduled to address students from Panjab University and colleges in Chandigarh and Punjab as part of his two-day visit to the state.
Panjab University Student`s Union (PUSU) has said political functions cannot be allowed in the campus and questioned the decision of the university authorities to allow the rally.
A PUSU statement read here today "we will protest against the decision to allow Rahul Gandhi`s rally here."
Rahul is expected to reply to questions from students on subjects ranging from politics, education, corruption and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).
Though the PU Campus Students` Union (PUCSC), the official students` body in Panjab University, has not said anything on the controversy around Rahul`s visit, two student bodies the Students Organisation of India (SOI), a political wing of Akali Dal and the Students` Federation of India (SFI), a CPI students wing - are objecting to his visit.
Both these organisations are part of the ruling alliance in PUCSC, which is led by Students of Panjab University (SOPU).
- Big Bash League: Melbourne Renegades may bring back Chris Gayle despite 'don't blush' furore
- Tiger Shroff, Shraddha Kapoor's 'Baaghi' crosses Rs 50 cr mark!
- Meaning, Rashi and Nakshatra of 10 unique baby boy names inspired by Lord Ganesha
- Sania Mirza's autobiography titled 'Ace Against Odds' to hit stands in July
- Volcanoes erupted beneath ice sheet on Mars billions of years ago