Rahul`s visit to Punjab university kicks up row
Chandigarh: Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi`s scheduled visit to Panjab University campus tomorrow tomorrow for an interaction with students has kicked up a row.
Students organisations are divided on whether or not Rahul should be allowed to hold a rally in the university campus.
The visit has been organised by the National Students Union of India (NSUI), the students` wing of Congress party.
Gandhi is scheduled to address students from Panjab University and colleges in Chandigarh and Punjab as part of his two-day visit to the state.
Panjab University Student`s Union (PUSU) has said political functions cannot be allowed in the campus and questioned the decision of the university authorities to allow the rally.
A PUSU statement read here today "we will protest against the decision to allow Rahul Gandhi`s rally here."
Rahul is expected to reply to questions from students on subjects ranging from politics, education, corruption and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).
Though the PU Campus Students` Union (PUCSC), the official students` body in Panjab University, has not said anything on the controversy around Rahul`s visit, two student bodies the Students Organisation of India (SOI), a political wing of Akali Dal and the Students` Federation of India (SFI), a CPI students wing - are objecting to his visit.
Both these organisations are part of the ruling alliance in PUCSC, which is led by Students of Panjab University (SOPU).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic