Rains lash parts of Punjab and Haryana; mercury falls
Chandigarh: Rains lashed parts of Punjab and Haryana Wednesday, bringing the mercury down considerably, with conditions for advancement of monsoon in the twin agrarian states being "favourable".
Moderate to heavy rainfall poured in Chandigarh, Ambala and Patiala this morning, the MeT office said here.
"Monsoon has entered some parts of Punjab and Haryana and the conditions for its advancement are favourable," Chandigarh MeT Director Surinder Pal said.
While Chandigarh received 58.8 mm of rainfall, Ambala received 41.9 mm and Patiala 0.7 mm.
The downpour led to fall in temperature "considerably", but brought humid conditions in the region, the MT office said.
Meanwhile, rain waters inundated some low-lying areas in the twin states. In Chandigarh, several roundabouts and city roads were waterlogged.
The rainfall is considered beneficial for the on-going paddy transplantation which is in full swing in the twin agrarian states of Punjab and Haryana, experts said.
The MeT has forecast rainfall at several parts of Punjab and Haryana during the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report