Rains lash parts of Punjab and Haryana; mercury falls
Chandigarh: Rains lashed parts of Punjab and Haryana Wednesday, bringing the mercury down considerably, with conditions for advancement of monsoon in the twin agrarian states being "favourable".
Moderate to heavy rainfall poured in Chandigarh, Ambala and Patiala this morning, the MeT office said here.
"Monsoon has entered some parts of Punjab and Haryana and the conditions for its advancement are favourable," Chandigarh MeT Director Surinder Pal said.
While Chandigarh received 58.8 mm of rainfall, Ambala received 41.9 mm and Patiala 0.7 mm.
The downpour led to fall in temperature "considerably", but brought humid conditions in the region, the MT office said.
Meanwhile, rain waters inundated some low-lying areas in the twin states. In Chandigarh, several roundabouts and city roads were waterlogged.
The rainfall is considered beneficial for the on-going paddy transplantation which is in full swing in the twin agrarian states of Punjab and Haryana, experts said.
The MeT has forecast rainfall at several parts of Punjab and Haryana during the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Tamil Nadu Budget 2016-17: All you need to know
- Need mix of fiscal, monetary policies to deal with Brexit: FM Jaitley
- Rio Olympics 2016: CAS rejects Russia appeal, bars athletes from mega event
- This manatee is interested in paddleboarding – Watch video!
- Oscar Pistorius: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for tainted Paralympian