Rains lash Punjab and Haryana, may hurt crops
Chandigarh: Haryana and Punjab received heavy rainfall last night, mounting worries for farmers as the crops nears harvesting stage.
Chandigarh measured heavy rains (19.6 mm), the MeT Department here said.
In Haryana, Ambala received 7.6 mm of rain, Hisar received 2.8 mm of showers while Karnal gauged 4.6 mm of rain.
Bhiwani (1.4 mm), Panchkula (3 mm), Kalka (5 mm), Kurukshetra (6 mm) and Yamunanagar were also lashed by rains.
In Punjab, heavy rains lashed Amritsar at 18 mm.
Ludhiana (6 mm), Patiala (9.4 mm) and Pathankot received 8 mm of rain. Showers were also reported from Ropar, Mohali and Phagwara.
A MeT official said Western disturbance was the main reason behind the showers. Another weather system - an induced upper air cyclonic circulation which lay over Central Pakistan and adjoining West Rajasthan - had also caused change in the weather in the plains of Punjab and Haryana, he said.
A week back, unusual widespread rains accompanied by strong winds had flattened wheat crop at many places in the two states.
The current spell of rains is not good for the crops which are at harvesting stage, agriculture experts have said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'