Rains lash Punjab and Haryana, may hurt crops
Chandigarh: Haryana and Punjab received heavy rainfall last night, mounting worries for farmers as the crops nears harvesting stage.
Chandigarh measured heavy rains (19.6 mm), the MeT Department here said.
In Haryana, Ambala received 7.6 mm of rain, Hisar received 2.8 mm of showers while Karnal gauged 4.6 mm of rain.
Bhiwani (1.4 mm), Panchkula (3 mm), Kalka (5 mm), Kurukshetra (6 mm) and Yamunanagar were also lashed by rains.
In Punjab, heavy rains lashed Amritsar at 18 mm.
Ludhiana (6 mm), Patiala (9.4 mm) and Pathankot received 8 mm of rain. Showers were also reported from Ropar, Mohali and Phagwara.
A MeT official said Western disturbance was the main reason behind the showers. Another weather system - an induced upper air cyclonic circulation which lay over Central Pakistan and adjoining West Rajasthan - had also caused change in the weather in the plains of Punjab and Haryana, he said.
A week back, unusual widespread rains accompanied by strong winds had flattened wheat crop at many places in the two states.
The current spell of rains is not good for the crops which are at harvesting stage, agriculture experts have said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video