Raise voice against social ills: CJ
Chandigarh: Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court AK Sikri on Saturday said legal education will be made part of school curriculum so that youth could spread legal awareness among the deprived section of the society and help fighting social ills.
Justice Sikri, who is also patron-in-chief of Haryana State Legal Services Authority (HALSA), was addressing a gathering in a programme organised in Gurgaon today.
He asked students to help in providing justice to the poor and illiterate by making them aware about their rights.
Sikri pointed out that in spite of laws, certain illegal things happen around us.
"This is because we see them and we ignore them," he said, according to a Haryana government release here.
Referring to Rabindranath Tagore`s poem, he said, when the Sun sets in the evening, the onus of spreading light lies on a small lamp made of mud, similarly, students will have to play the role of that lamp for Legal Services Authority in spreading legal awareness in the society.
He said that lessons in basic laws would be made part of the curriculum of schools so that the students know about their legal rights and educate those who are unaware of it, especially the poor and illiterate.
A small book, comprising lessons on basic laws, was being published by HALSA, which would be taught in schools as a compulsory subject, he said.
Sikri said the Authority was working on the principle of `justice to all`, therefore those who did not come to courts or those who are not aware that their rights were being violated, need to be told about it.
Terming female foeticide as a curse, Sikri said that these days girls were outshining boys in every field and every competition, "then why hate girls."
On the occasion, Sikri also inaugurated a Legal Literacy Club in Amity International School of Sector 43, Gurgaon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!