Rajoana gets two-and-half-year sentence under Arms Act
Patiala: Balwant Singh Rajoana, a convict on death row for the assassination of former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh, was on Saturday sentenced to two-and-half-year jail in an 18-year-old Arms Act case.
Additional District Judge Deepika awarded Rajoana two-and-a-half-year jail and also imposed Rs 1,000 fine as fine in case registered here on December 25, 1995 under the Arms Act.
The then inspector of Sadar police station DS Malli had arrested Rajoana and recovered a pistol along with four cartridges from him, as per FIR.
Rajoana was produced in the Court and after pronouncing the sentence, he told media persons, "I was blessed by the almighty."
He also raised slogans of `Khalistan Zindabad`.
Rajona was also facing sentence of 10-year in an Explosive Act case.
Rajoana is also facing death sentence for assassination of former Punjab CM Beant Singh and his execution was scheduled for March 31, 2012.
On March 28, 2012, the Union Home Ministry stayed his execution following clemency appeals filed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared