Rajoana: Punjab on the boil, curfew in Gurdaspur
Chandigarh: Curfew was today clamped in
Gurdaspur city following communal tension between right-wing
Hindu activists and Sikhs.
"Curfew has been imposed in Gurdaspur City after tension
mounted between some Shiv Sainiks and other youths, including
Sikhs," Gurdaspur Deputy Commissioner Mohinder Singh Kainth
He said that the Shiv Sainiks had given a call for
Gurdaspur bandh today in the wake of registration of cases
against some persons following clashes during Punjab bandh
During the bandh most of the establishments owned by
Hindus were closed whereas those belonging to Sikhs were
open, sources said adding that resisting the move of Sikhs the
right-wing Hindu activists came face to face with them
mounting tension in the city.
In order to disperse the two groups, police allegedly
opened fire in which one person died and another was injured,
However, Kainth said that police resorted to firing to
disperse the two groups in which one person was injured.
"We are verifying the facts whether the person was
injured during the firing," he said.
The right wing organisations were protesting against the
registration of cases against 14 Hindus following a scuffle
during Punjab bandh yesterday, sources said adding that the
police opened fire in air to disperse the mob in Hanuman Chowk
in the heart of the border town.
Police also cane-charged and lobbed tear gas shells to
disperse the mob of both the communities, sources said.
During the Punjab bandh yesterday 14 Hindu youths had
opposed the Sikh organisations to shut down the shutters of
their establishments resulting in clash between the two
Meanwhile, Kainth said that the situation was "under
control". Yesterday, normal life was crippled across Punjab
which witnessed sporadic violence during the day-long
shutdown, called by radical Sikh outfits, to protest the
scheduled hanging of Balwant Singh Rajoana, a convict in the
former Chief Minister Beant Singh assassination case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted