Records of prisons in Punjab to be computerised
Chandigarh: The records of prisoners in Punjab jails would be computerised on the pattern of Tihar Jail in New Delhi, Punjab Jail Minister Sarwan Singh Phillaur said here on Friday.
The modalities would be worked out in this regard and required infrastructure would be provided, the minister, who visited Tihar jail, said in a statement here.
The computerised records would contain fingerprints of all prisoners, date of release, remissions, parole and good conduct.
The minister said smart cards would be introduced in canteens of prisons to assist the prisoners in various monetary transactions with the jail canteens, thus replacing the old coupon system.
In order to monitor and control drug menace in jails, state-level and district-level committees have been constituted at the level of Principal Secretary (Home) and District Magistrates, he said.
The District Magistrate would head the district-level committees with District Superintendent of Police, Superintendent of Police Jails, Civil Surgeon of the district concerned and the doctor concerned of the jail as members.
Phillaur said sniffer dogs would be provided in Punjab jails to detect narcotics and other objectionable material in prisons.
X-ray machines are being installed for detection of narcotics as a pilot project at Central Jails in Amritsar, Jalandhar and Kapurthala, he said.
The superintendents of jails have also been directed to conduct surprise checks in jails, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India