Records of prisons in Punjab to be computerised
Chandigarh: The records of prisoners in Punjab jails would be computerised on the pattern of Tihar Jail in New Delhi, Punjab Jail Minister Sarwan Singh Phillaur said here on Friday.
The modalities would be worked out in this regard and required infrastructure would be provided, the minister, who visited Tihar jail, said in a statement here.
The computerised records would contain fingerprints of all prisoners, date of release, remissions, parole and good conduct.
The minister said smart cards would be introduced in canteens of prisons to assist the prisoners in various monetary transactions with the jail canteens, thus replacing the old coupon system.
In order to monitor and control drug menace in jails, state-level and district-level committees have been constituted at the level of Principal Secretary (Home) and District Magistrates, he said.
The District Magistrate would head the district-level committees with District Superintendent of Police, Superintendent of Police Jails, Civil Surgeon of the district concerned and the doctor concerned of the jail as members.
Phillaur said sniffer dogs would be provided in Punjab jails to detect narcotics and other objectionable material in prisons.
X-ray machines are being installed for detection of narcotics as a pilot project at Central Jails in Amritsar, Jalandhar and Kapurthala, he said.
The superintendents of jails have also been directed to conduct surprise checks in jails, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital