Restrict Manpreet`s movements: SAD to EC
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal on Tuesday accused Congress candidate from Bathinda Lok Sabha seat Manpreet Singh of "spreading hate and inciting violence" and urged the Election Commission to restrain his movement.
In a complaint filed before the Election Commission, SAD spokesperson Daljeet Singh Cheema brought to the notice an alleged "hate speech" delivered by Manpreet during a public rally at Bathinda yesterday.
He said the Congress candidate linked the ruling SAD party in Punjab to a snake which could not be killed by striking at the tail.
Cheema said Manpreet instigated the people by saying "if you have ever hit out at a snake you will realise it cannot be killed by striking at the tail. You have to strike it on the head to kill it".
He claimed that "Manpreet even proclaimed before the people that he would do just that".
The SAD spokesperson said Manpreet had become frustrated because his campaign had failed to take off in Bathinda as the people did not appreciate his blatant political opportunism and negative propaganda.
"Now it seems he wants to engineer violence amongst the people and has virtually given a call for the same," he alleged.
Urging the EC to restrain Manpreet to his polling station only, Cheema said "this is necessary to thwart the Congress candidate`s `game plan to engineer violence` in the constituency and blame the SAD-BJP combine for the same."
Cheema urged the EC to act immediately on the complaint of the SAD to ensure a free and fair election.
"Only an injunction on Manpreet Badal`s movement can prevent him from spreading his hate speeches which could lead to violence in the constituency," the spokesperson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days