Revise formula for devolution of Central funds to states: Badal
Hoshiarpur: To ensure overall development of the country, the Centre should "impartially" disburse the taxes collected from states, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Badal on Saturday said.
It is the need of the hour to revise the formula for devolution of Central funds because the states need more funds for their primary developmental needs, Badal told reporters here.
"Rather than discriminating with the states the Union government must impartially disburse the taxes collected from states in order to ensure the overall development of the country," the chief minister said.
He said they had been demanding that the states should be given at least 50 per cent share in taxes collected from them.
"The allocation of funds to the states should in fact be made growth dependent, so as to encourage the states to perform better," he said.
Laying stress on the need for strengthening federalism by increasing devolution of Central funds to states from the present 32 per cent to 50 per cent along with change in the devolution criteria, he said that if more funds were placed at the disposal of the states "an era of unparallelled development
could be heralded in them."
The chief minister said that by giving the central funds the Union government was not doling out anything special to the states, rather it was duty bound to repay back their share from the revenue collected in form of various taxes from the states.
Assailing the Union government for allegedly ignoring the welfare of people "by formulating the policies autocratically without concerning the state governments", Badal said "the tendency of the Central government to usurp the powers of the state governments is very dangerous as it not only violated the fundamental principles of democracy but also weakened the federal structure of the country."
"The result of such discriminatory policies of the Congress is that Punjab, which was once considered as most prosperous and advanced state of the country, is now lagging behind in many sectors," he claimed.
Badal said that as Punjab was serving the needs of the country regarding food grain production so it was the duty of the Union Government to extend special facilities to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'