Rich tributes paid to martyr Udham Singh
Sunam Udham Singhwala: Punjab Chief
Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday lauded the role of Punjabis
for making supreme sacrifices during the country`s freedom
Though the community merely constituted two-and-a-half
per cent of the country`s population, it made 80 per cent of
the sacrifices, he told a gathering on the occasion of 72nd
martyrdom day of Udham Singh here.
Badal, who paid floral tributes to the martyr at the
state-level function, said Punjab had played a unique and
unparalleled role in the country`s freedom movement.
He said the sacrifice of Udham Singh, who avenged the
Jallianwala Bagh massacre, would always be remembered in the
annals of the country`s freedom movement.
The Chief Minister said "our freedom fighters laid
down their lives to make our country free from the British
rule as they evisaged an independent nation free from maladies
of poverty, illiteracy and unemployment."
He, however, lamented their "dreams have not been
realised even 65 years after independence as majority of the
people in our country are devoid of basic civic amenities".
On the occasion, the Chief Minister honoured the
descendents of Udham Singh and other patriots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people