Rich tributes paid to martyr Udham Singh
Sunam Udham Singhwala: Punjab Chief
Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday lauded the role of Punjabis
for making supreme sacrifices during the country`s freedom
Though the community merely constituted two-and-a-half
per cent of the country`s population, it made 80 per cent of
the sacrifices, he told a gathering on the occasion of 72nd
martyrdom day of Udham Singh here.
Badal, who paid floral tributes to the martyr at the
state-level function, said Punjab had played a unique and
unparalleled role in the country`s freedom movement.
He said the sacrifice of Udham Singh, who avenged the
Jallianwala Bagh massacre, would always be remembered in the
annals of the country`s freedom movement.
The Chief Minister said "our freedom fighters laid
down their lives to make our country free from the British
rule as they evisaged an independent nation free from maladies
of poverty, illiteracy and unemployment."
He, however, lamented their "dreams have not been
realised even 65 years after independence as majority of the
people in our country are devoid of basic civic amenities".
On the occasion, the Chief Minister honoured the
descendents of Udham Singh and other patriots.
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives
- Spectacular view of the Bahamas from space – See pic!
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Oommen Chandy to meet family, promises help