Rich tributes paid to martyr Udham Singh
Sunam Udham Singhwala: Punjab Chief
Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday lauded the role of Punjabis
for making supreme sacrifices during the country`s freedom
Though the community merely constituted two-and-a-half
per cent of the country`s population, it made 80 per cent of
the sacrifices, he told a gathering on the occasion of 72nd
martyrdom day of Udham Singh here.
Badal, who paid floral tributes to the martyr at the
state-level function, said Punjab had played a unique and
unparalleled role in the country`s freedom movement.
He said the sacrifice of Udham Singh, who avenged the
Jallianwala Bagh massacre, would always be remembered in the
annals of the country`s freedom movement.
The Chief Minister said "our freedom fighters laid
down their lives to make our country free from the British
rule as they evisaged an independent nation free from maladies
of poverty, illiteracy and unemployment."
He, however, lamented their "dreams have not been
realised even 65 years after independence as majority of the
people in our country are devoid of basic civic amenities".
On the occasion, the Chief Minister honoured the
descendents of Udham Singh and other patriots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today