Rich tributes paid to martyr Udham Singh
Sunam Udham Singhwala: Punjab Chief
Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday lauded the role of Punjabis
for making supreme sacrifices during the country`s freedom
Though the community merely constituted two-and-a-half
per cent of the country`s population, it made 80 per cent of
the sacrifices, he told a gathering on the occasion of 72nd
martyrdom day of Udham Singh here.
Badal, who paid floral tributes to the martyr at the
state-level function, said Punjab had played a unique and
unparalleled role in the country`s freedom movement.
He said the sacrifice of Udham Singh, who avenged the
Jallianwala Bagh massacre, would always be remembered in the
annals of the country`s freedom movement.
The Chief Minister said "our freedom fighters laid
down their lives to make our country free from the British
rule as they evisaged an independent nation free from maladies
of poverty, illiteracy and unemployment."
He, however, lamented their "dreams have not been
realised even 65 years after independence as majority of the
people in our country are devoid of basic civic amenities".
On the occasion, the Chief Minister honoured the
descendents of Udham Singh and other patriots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing