Rickshaw puller from Amritsar jumps into poll fray
Amritsar: Living in penury and hardly being
able to make two ends meet has not prevented a 60 year-old
rickshaw puller from jumping into the poll fray.
Mahinder Singh is contesting the January 30 Punjab
Assembly polls from Amritsar (East) as an Independent.
Following his daily routine, he gets up early in the
morning and quickly goes around looking to pick up the
`sawaaris` (passengers) so that he has some money at the end
of the day to feed his family.
For most part of the day, Singh, father of four children,
takes his tastefully decorated rickshaw to seek votes in the
constituency, from where the main contestants include BJP`s Dr
Navjot Kaur, wife of Amritsar MP, Navjot Singh Sidhu.
When asked what prompted him to contest, Singh wearing a
dejected look, told PTI, "I am fed up with this system. With
so much time having passed since the country gained
Independence, lives of poor people like me remain unchanged.
If I don`t earn for a day, my family will starve. I want to
change this system".
"Look where the prices have touched, what will a poor man
do," Singh, who lives in Maqbulpura area here and has two sons
and two daughters, besides his wife whom he has to take care
Son of a labourer, Singh was born in Barkia Karea village
near Lahore, Pakistan, and migrated to India along with his
family after the country`s partition.
It is not just Singh who wants to change the system, a
young candidate, a staunch believer in the ideals of Mahatma
Gandhi, is also testing his electoral luck from Amritsar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly