Rift widens in Punjab Congress
Chandigarh: Rift widened in Punjab Congress on Tuesday, with legislator Randeep Singh Nabha questioning the rationale behind the show-cause notice served on him, a day after MLA Braham Mohindra openly criticised party chief Amarinder Singh.
Joining the chorus, Nabha slammed Amarinder for going to the press on the issue of indiscipline in party unit, and termed it a "malicious campaign" to "publicly hurt" his image.
Yesterday, Mohindra had expressed his displeasure over Amarinder`s statements in the press.
Challenging Amarinder, Nabha said the state party chief has "no authority" to serve such notices.
After defeat in Moga bypoll, Amarinder had reprimanded the two leaders for their "absence" during the campaigning.
"As per the constitution of Congress party, the power to issue such notice to the member of AICC vests with party president or with the chairman of central disciplinary action committee," he said.
The act of serving notices is "unwarranted" at a time when the morale of party workers is "already low", and this may affect party`s prospects in 2014 elections, Nabha said.
"I think if you (Amarinder) would have placed your house in order first, the party in Punjab would not have suffered two successive defeats in 2007 and 2012 Assembly elections," Nabha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement