Road mishap in Punjab, 2 school students killed
Ludhiana: Two school girls were killed and five others injured, including three critically, when a truck crashed through the school boundary wall and hit them on the outskirts of the Ludhiana Industrial Town on Friday.
Earlier this morning, Commissioner of Police of Ludhiana Division, Ishwar Singh, quoting preliminary report had said that five students were killed.
But police later said that the confusion arose because the school authorities had taken three critically injured students as dead.
The truck after jumping the road divider hit the wall of the government primary school at Mangli, which is on the other side of the road.
According to an eye witness account, after breaking the school`s boundary wall, the truck entered the school premises and hit eight students.
While two students died on the spot, others were rushed to the CMC Hospital in the city.
"Ludhiana police have arrested the truck driver Lakhbir Singh and cleaner Thana Singh under various charges including intentional collision and negligent driving," said Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police NK Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon