SAD begins review of its office bearers directory
Amritsar: The Shiromani Akali Dal on Wednesday began a review of the directory of its local office bearers, which included the name of Ranjit Singh Rana, accused in last week`s killing of a policeman.
The move to review the directory comes after protests by the Punjab Congress led by its president Amarinder Singh to highlight the alleged deteriorating law and order situation in the state.
Rana is the key accused in the murder case of Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police Ravinderpal Singh, who was shot dead in full public view when he tried to stop the accused and his accomplices from teasing his daughter.
Local residents had complained to Amarinder Singh during his visit here yesterday that local SAD leader Rana, who was shunted out from the party, was mainly known for ferrying people to Akali rallies and unleashed terror in some pockets here after claiming close proximity with the SAD high-ups.
Meanwhile, Amritsar SAD Urban president Upkar Singh Sandhu has expelled office-bearers Baljit Singh Billa senior vice-president, and Baljinder Singh Dhillon vice-president for recommending the name of Ranjit Singh Rana in the party fold but local Congress leaders described this action of SAD as mere eyewash.
Upkar Singh said the party has begun to check the antecedents of all the Akali workers in the district.
He said that Block presidents and Ward heads were told to check the background of each and every party activist.
They were strictly warned that they will be held responsible in case an Akali activist was found indulging in any kind of unlawful activity.
During his protest meeting here yesterday, Amarinder Singh had alleged that the directory of Youth Akali Dal which was released by Punjab Minister Bikram Majithia "was largely circulated in all the police stations with the directions that all the Akali activists having name in the directory be given VVIP treatment in the police station when they arrive for any public job".
Amarinder had accused SAD-BJP Government for misuse of power and unleashing terror on innocent people of Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference