SAD begins review of its office bearers directory
Amritsar: The Shiromani Akali Dal on Wednesday began a review of the directory of its local office bearers, which included the name of Ranjit Singh Rana, accused in last week`s killing of a policeman.
The move to review the directory comes after protests by the Punjab Congress led by its president Amarinder Singh to highlight the alleged deteriorating law and order situation in the state.
Rana is the key accused in the murder case of Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police Ravinderpal Singh, who was shot dead in full public view when he tried to stop the accused and his accomplices from teasing his daughter.
Local residents had complained to Amarinder Singh during his visit here yesterday that local SAD leader Rana, who was shunted out from the party, was mainly known for ferrying people to Akali rallies and unleashed terror in some pockets here after claiming close proximity with the SAD high-ups.
Meanwhile, Amritsar SAD Urban president Upkar Singh Sandhu has expelled office-bearers Baljit Singh Billa senior vice-president, and Baljinder Singh Dhillon vice-president for recommending the name of Ranjit Singh Rana in the party fold but local Congress leaders described this action of SAD as mere eyewash.
Upkar Singh said the party has begun to check the antecedents of all the Akali workers in the district.
He said that Block presidents and Ward heads were told to check the background of each and every party activist.
They were strictly warned that they will be held responsible in case an Akali activist was found indulging in any kind of unlawful activity.
During his protest meeting here yesterday, Amarinder Singh had alleged that the directory of Youth Akali Dal which was released by Punjab Minister Bikram Majithia "was largely circulated in all the police stations with the directions that all the Akali activists having name in the directory be given VVIP treatment in the police station when they arrive for any public job".
Amarinder had accused SAD-BJP Government for misuse of power and unleashing terror on innocent people of Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur