SAD-BJP sweeps Municipal polls in Punjab
Chandigarh: The ruling SAD-BJP combine on Sunday swept the Municipal Corporation polls in Punjab drubbing the opposition Congress in the first trial of strength after the state assembly election in January this year.
The SAD-BJP candidates romped home in most of the wards in Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Amritsar and Patiala Municipal bodies, State Election Commission Secretary M L Sharma said.
The alliance bagged 48 wards in the Amritsar Municipal Corporation, 38 in Patiala, 35 in Jalandhar and over 40 in Ludhiana, he said.
A ward each went in favour of the People`s Party of Punjab and the BSP in Jalandhar, Sharma said.
In Ludhiana, Independents pocketed 14 wards, he said adding the rest of the wards in four Corporations were bagged by the Congress.
A youth was shot dead as stray violence marred the civic body polls which witnessed a high voter turnout of nearly 75 per cent.
The polls, seen as the first trial of strength between the SAD and the Congress after the assembly poll, were held for 50 wards in Patiala, 75 in Ludhiana, 58 in Jalandhar and 64 in Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested