SAD-BJP sweeps Municipal polls in Punjab
Chandigarh: The ruling SAD-BJP combine on Sunday swept the Municipal Corporation polls in Punjab drubbing the opposition Congress in the first trial of strength after the state assembly election in January this year.
The SAD-BJP candidates romped home in most of the wards in Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Amritsar and Patiala Municipal bodies, State Election Commission Secretary M L Sharma said.
The alliance bagged 48 wards in the Amritsar Municipal Corporation, 38 in Patiala, 35 in Jalandhar and over 40 in Ludhiana, he said.
A ward each went in favour of the People`s Party of Punjab and the BSP in Jalandhar, Sharma said.
In Ludhiana, Independents pocketed 14 wards, he said adding the rest of the wards in four Corporations were bagged by the Congress.
A youth was shot dead as stray violence marred the civic body polls which witnessed a high voter turnout of nearly 75 per cent.
The polls, seen as the first trial of strength between the SAD and the Congress after the assembly poll, were held for 50 wards in Patiala, 75 in Ludhiana, 58 in Jalandhar and 64 in Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price