SAD-BJP sweeps Municipal polls in Punjab
Chandigarh: The ruling SAD-BJP combine on Sunday swept the Municipal Corporation polls in Punjab drubbing the opposition Congress in the first trial of strength after the state assembly election in January this year.
The SAD-BJP candidates romped home in most of the wards in Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Amritsar and Patiala Municipal bodies, State Election Commission Secretary M L Sharma said.
The alliance bagged 48 wards in the Amritsar Municipal Corporation, 38 in Patiala, 35 in Jalandhar and over 40 in Ludhiana, he said.
A ward each went in favour of the People`s Party of Punjab and the BSP in Jalandhar, Sharma said.
In Ludhiana, Independents pocketed 14 wards, he said adding the rest of the wards in four Corporations were bagged by the Congress.
A youth was shot dead as stray violence marred the civic body polls which witnessed a high voter turnout of nearly 75 per cent.
The polls, seen as the first trial of strength between the SAD and the Congress after the assembly poll, were held for 50 wards in Patiala, 75 in Ludhiana, 58 in Jalandhar and 64 in Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report