SAD-BJP to continue crusade against drug menace: Sukhbir
Bathinda: Punjab`s Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal Saturday promised to continue the crusade against drug addiction and exhorted the parents to play pro-active role in saving their children from the drug menace.
He also underlined the need for bringing more sensitivity towards the core issue of gender equality by empowering the women.
Sukhbir was speaking after unfurling the National Flag at Bathinda`s Multi-purpose stadium to mark the Republic Day function here today.
He pointed out that Punjab being on the transit route of international drug trafficking always remained vulnerable, "but due to the concerted efforts of state police the drug recoveries have increased manifold in last 5-6 years".
He said that this crusade would continue and nobody would be allowed to ruin the youth power of the state.
He also urged the parents to take special care of their teenage children to save them from drugs menace.
Sukhbir also said that the unfortunate incidents of criminal assault on women in various parts of the country, "serve as a grim reminder that during last 65 years of independence we have faltered in inculcating gender sensitisation amongst our masses."
"The society had also lagged behind in educating girl child besides checking the menace of female foeticide. It was high time that the country should launch a sustained programme for empowerment of women; ensure strict legal provisions to give deterrent punishment to the culprits of crime against women besides setting up of fast track courts for time bound adjudication of such cases," he added.
Deputy Chief Minister said that the State Government has dedicated the year 2013 for empowerment of women.
He also informed that the state will become power surplus by the end of this year.
The construction of four laning of Bathinda-Chandigarh road, a Rs 2500 crore project would start next month, he said.
"By spending Rs 1313 crore on Atta-Daal scheme, Rs 2240 crore on old age pension scheme, Rs 297 crore on the Shagun Scheme and Rs 455 crore on setting up of rural toilets in last five years", SAD-BJP government has showed that it had always taken care of poor, Sukhbir Badal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly