SAD candidate files nomination papers for Moga bypoll
Moga: Ruling Shiromani Akali Dal candidate Joginderpal Jain on Saturday filed his nomination papers here for the bypoll to Moga assembly segment scheduled for February 23.
Jain filed his nomination papers before District Returning Officer Jorem Beda.
A number of state and district leaders of the SAD and ally BJP were present when Jain went to file his papers.
Meanwhile, as per the details of the affidavit furnished by Jain along with his nomination papers, he owns movable property worth Rs 50 lakh and has immovable assets worth Rs 3.9 crore. He also has a sum of over Rs 44 lakh as bank deposits in various bank accounts.
Jain has liabilities worth Rs 50 lakh against him.
SAD had fielded turncoat Jain against Congress nominee Vijay Kumar Sathi in the by-polls which were necessitated after Jain deserted the Congress to join the SAD recently.
Meanwhile, People`s Party of Punjab President and former Minister Manpreet Singh Badal, who is also chairman of Sanjha Morcha, a group of political outfits, including PPP and Left parties, today reiterated the Morcha`s stand not to withdraw its candidate from the Moga bypoll.
Morcha candidate Ravinder Singh Dhaliwal will file his nomination papers on Monday, Badal told reporters here.
He was asked to comment on the statement of senior Congress leader Jagmeet Singh Brar that he would persuade the Sanjha Morcha to withdraw its candidate from the bypoll in support of Congress` candidate Sathi to ensure Congress victory in the bypoll.
Manpreet said it was not the proper time to appealing to the Morcha to withdraw its candidate. He, however, said he was happy that Congress has a "soft corner" for the Morcha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors