SAD candidate files nomination papers for Moga bypoll
Moga: Ruling Shiromani Akali Dal candidate Joginderpal Jain on Saturday filed his nomination papers here for the bypoll to Moga assembly segment scheduled for February 23.
Jain filed his nomination papers before District Returning Officer Jorem Beda.
A number of state and district leaders of the SAD and ally BJP were present when Jain went to file his papers.
Meanwhile, as per the details of the affidavit furnished by Jain along with his nomination papers, he owns movable property worth Rs 50 lakh and has immovable assets worth Rs 3.9 crore. He also has a sum of over Rs 44 lakh as bank deposits in various bank accounts.
Jain has liabilities worth Rs 50 lakh against him.
SAD had fielded turncoat Jain against Congress nominee Vijay Kumar Sathi in the by-polls which were necessitated after Jain deserted the Congress to join the SAD recently.
Meanwhile, People`s Party of Punjab President and former Minister Manpreet Singh Badal, who is also chairman of Sanjha Morcha, a group of political outfits, including PPP and Left parties, today reiterated the Morcha`s stand not to withdraw its candidate from the Moga bypoll.
Morcha candidate Ravinder Singh Dhaliwal will file his nomination papers on Monday, Badal told reporters here.
He was asked to comment on the statement of senior Congress leader Jagmeet Singh Brar that he would persuade the Sanjha Morcha to withdraw its candidate from the bypoll in support of Congress` candidate Sathi to ensure Congress victory in the bypoll.
Manpreet said it was not the proper time to appealing to the Morcha to withdraw its candidate. He, however, said he was happy that Congress has a "soft corner" for the Morcha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried