SAD changes stance on FDI in retail
Chandigarh: In a change of stand, Punjab`s
ruling Shiromani Akali Dal on Thursday night said there was a need to
relook at FDI in retail sector, after having earlier favoured
the Centre`s move.
A SAD release said here that SAD President Sukhbir Singh
Badal discussed the issue of FDI with members of the party`s
Core Committee which met here this evening.
"After considering various views expressed by senior
members at the meeting, Badal said the issue needed to be
looked at afresh keeping in view the interests of small
farmers, vendors, small and medium traders", the release said.
Accordingly, he said, the party wanted that the issue be
discussed threadbare in Parliament before the government took
a decision on the subject.
The release said "the party will not support any move
which adversely affects the interests of farmers and small and
medium traders and consumers.
The party demanded that "full details of the FDI in
retail proposal be made public and placed before the nation
The party President had earlier in a letter to the Centre
recently supported move on FDI even as SAD`s NDA ally BJP
expressed its opposition to the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened