SAD leader, 21 others get 7 years imprisonment
Patiala: A special CBI court on Saturday awarded seven-year imprisonment to SAD leader and 21 others, including three FCI officials in a fraud case.
The Special Judge Hemant Gopal held a former SAD MLA Mangat Rai Bansal and others guilty of making wrongful gains by supplying sub standard rice, resulting in loss to the Food Corporation of India to the tune of Rs 1.8 crore.
The CBI had filed the chargesheet against total 28 people including three FCI officials and 25 rice millers (including Bansal) in 2001 and booked all the accused under sections 120 (B), 420 IPC and sections 13(1), 13(2) of Prevention of Corruption Act.
Two accused have died in due course of time while two were acquitted and two were awarded two years imprisonment.
Three FCI officials, M S Tomar, P N Aggarwal and J R Monga, working as quality control assistant had passed the substandard rice from millers.
They were dismissed by the FCI, after registration of FIR against them.
The case against Bansal and others was lodged in 1998, when in a raid conducted by Punjab Food and Civil Supplies Department, the officials found "substandard" rice being supplied to FCI by few millers of Bareta in Mansa district.
A public interest litigation (PIL) was filed in Punjab and Haryana High Court by a Bareta farmer, demanding a CBI enquiry into the embezzlement done by a section of millers, which the High Court admitted and ordered CBI enquiry on September 23, 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo