SAD opposes Tytler`s selection to lead Olympics delegation
Chandigarh: The Shiromani Akali Dal on Monday strongly opposed the decision of the Congress-led UPA government to depute Congress leader and alleged main culprit in 1984 Sikh massacre, Jagdish Tytler to lead the Indian delegation to the London Olympics.
"The inclusion of a person accused of grave human rights violation is an insult to humanity and would send the wrong signal worldwide," SAD secretary and spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema said in a statement released here from the party`s head office.
Tytler had yesterday said he had no plans to lead the delegation to the Olympics as he was busy with party work.
SAD secretary Cheema said the only explanation for his selection as leader of the Olympic delegation could be that Congress party was with Tytler, irrespective of the allegations against.
The party urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to immediately intervene and reverse the decision without any delay, according to the statement.
Cheema stated, "it was surprising that a man who had led violent mobs in the streets of Delhi to massacre innocent Sikh children, ladies and men is being chosen for such an honour of leading the country at the time of Olympic games."
The SGPC had yesterday opposed the move to send Tytler to London Olympics as part of the official Indian delegation, even as the Congress MP said he has no such plans as he was busy with party work.
When contacted yesterday, Tytler had said, "I had no plans to go to London for the Olympics as I am busy with party work. The Akalis are trying to take political mileage by raking up the issue."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know