SAD opposes Tytler`s selection to lead Olympics delegation
Chandigarh: The Shiromani Akali Dal on Monday strongly opposed the decision of the Congress-led UPA government to depute Congress leader and alleged main culprit in 1984 Sikh massacre, Jagdish Tytler to lead the Indian delegation to the London Olympics.
"The inclusion of a person accused of grave human rights violation is an insult to humanity and would send the wrong signal worldwide," SAD secretary and spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema said in a statement released here from the party`s head office.
Tytler had yesterday said he had no plans to lead the delegation to the Olympics as he was busy with party work.
SAD secretary Cheema said the only explanation for his selection as leader of the Olympic delegation could be that Congress party was with Tytler, irrespective of the allegations against.
The party urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to immediately intervene and reverse the decision without any delay, according to the statement.
Cheema stated, "it was surprising that a man who had led violent mobs in the streets of Delhi to massacre innocent Sikh children, ladies and men is being chosen for such an honour of leading the country at the time of Olympic games."
The SGPC had yesterday opposed the move to send Tytler to London Olympics as part of the official Indian delegation, even as the Congress MP said he has no such plans as he was busy with party work.
When contacted yesterday, Tytler had said, "I had no plans to go to London for the Olympics as I am busy with party work. The Akalis are trying to take political mileage by raking up the issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in