SAD slams Centre on diesel, LPG decision
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal on Thursday accused the UPA government at the Centre of giving a "free hand" to oil companies to increase diesel rates.
The party also described as "illusion" the raising of cap on subsidised LPG cylinders from next financial year and demanded rollback of ceiling on LPG cylinders.
In a statement here, SAD President and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said, "The Union Cabinet today has deliberately and conveniently given a free hand to the oil companies to raise the price of diesel.
"By doing so, the government has left poor farmers, transporters and common public at the mercy of oil companies which will charge higher price from people," he said.
Badal said Shiromani Akali Dal has since long been demanding constitution of a Joint Parliamentary Committee to look into the price fixation formula of oil products as oil companies were fleecing people by charging "higher" price.
On raising of cap of LPG, he said the Congress-led UPA government is not going to fulfil its promise and demanded immediate removal of cap on LPG cylinders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam