SAD slams Congress on Rahul Gandhi`s visits to Pune
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) on Sunday slammed the Congress on the recent visits of party General Secretary Rahul Gandhi to Punjab and accused it of being "devoid" on agenda.
SAD spokesman and party Secretary Daljit Singh Cheema said the ruling party`s "analysis" of the visits "has revealed that the party (Congress) is devoid of any national as well as regional agenda."
"The behaviour of the state Congress leadership equally reflects their insensitivity and carelessness towards the burning problems of Punjab," he alleged.
"It is a sad affair that Punjab was nowhere in the discussions in any of these (Rahul`s) meetings and only selfish political interests were raised by all the Congressmen present in the meetings," he claimed.
Everyone expected that Rahul Gandhi will unfold his visionary strategy for the next parliamentary elections, but nothing of the sort happened, he said in a statement.
"At this time when state farmers have been denied their legitimate right of drought relief by the Union government everybody thought that the state Congress leadership would request their worthy General Secretary to help the peasantry get their due, but nothing of the sort happened," he accused.
The issue of excise concessions to Punjab, which has allegedly adversely affected the state`s industry, was not raised in any of these meetings, he also said.
However, in a separate statement here, Punjab Congress President Amarinder Singh hailed the two visits of Rahul Gandhi to Punjab this month, saying it had further enthused and energised the party rank and file in the state.
"The workers and the grassroots level leaders were feeling happy about having met their leader (Rahul) and exchanged views and ideas with him. Rahul Gandhi by his three day interaction with workers and leaders had further energised them to work harder for the party," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured