SAD slams Congress on Rahul Gandhi`s visits to Pune
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) on Sunday slammed the Congress on the recent visits of party General Secretary Rahul Gandhi to Punjab and accused it of being "devoid" on agenda.
SAD spokesman and party Secretary Daljit Singh Cheema said the ruling party`s "analysis" of the visits "has revealed that the party (Congress) is devoid of any national as well as regional agenda."
"The behaviour of the state Congress leadership equally reflects their insensitivity and carelessness towards the burning problems of Punjab," he alleged.
"It is a sad affair that Punjab was nowhere in the discussions in any of these (Rahul`s) meetings and only selfish political interests were raised by all the Congressmen present in the meetings," he claimed.
Everyone expected that Rahul Gandhi will unfold his visionary strategy for the next parliamentary elections, but nothing of the sort happened, he said in a statement.
"At this time when state farmers have been denied their legitimate right of drought relief by the Union government everybody thought that the state Congress leadership would request their worthy General Secretary to help the peasantry get their due, but nothing of the sort happened," he accused.
The issue of excise concessions to Punjab, which has allegedly adversely affected the state`s industry, was not raised in any of these meetings, he also said.
However, in a separate statement here, Punjab Congress President Amarinder Singh hailed the two visits of Rahul Gandhi to Punjab this month, saying it had further enthused and energised the party rank and file in the state.
"The workers and the grassroots level leaders were feeling happy about having met their leader (Rahul) and exchanged views and ideas with him. Rahul Gandhi by his three day interaction with workers and leaders had further energised them to work harder for the party," Singh said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!