SAD upset over delay in permission for holding conference
Chandigarh: Ruling Shiromani Akali Dal on Saturday expressed its resentment over the alleged delay by the Election Commission in granting them permission to hold a conference at Anandpur Sahib tomorrow to mark the occasion of Hola Mohalla festival.
A SAD delegation today met Punjab Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), V K Singh here and asked why the EC had kept the matter pending and permission was not being given for holding the "socio-religious" function.
In a detailed memorandum submitted to the CEO, SAD General Secretary, Prem Singh Chandumajra and party spokesman Daljeet Singh Cheema, claimed that socio-religious subjects have never come under the Model Code of Conduct.
"Inspite of all this, we have time and again assured the Election Commission that Shiromani Akali Dal will uphold its responsibility of honouring the Model Code of Conduct," the memorandum added.
The party leaders requested the Commission that necessary permission for holding this conference should be given immediately.
They informed the Election Commission that the SAD has taken the ground, where the conference is to be held, on rent from the SGPC and that all the expenditure for holding the conference were borne by the party and not the SGPC as reported in a section of the media, a SAD release said.
The delegation also apprised the CEO that the ground is being used by SGPC for parking purpose only and no regular religious activity takes place there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- African nationals targetted: Delhi Police rule out hate crime angle, say 'attacks were not racial in nature'
- African nationals targetted: Delhi cops arrest five persons, detain four others
- Will not bow to labour reform protestors: French PM Manuel Valls
- Former Punjab CM Beant Singh's grandson shoots himself, dies
- Photo alert! First look of Dwayne Johnson from 'Fast & Furious 8'!