SAD withdraws statewide protest against wealth tax
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal on Tuesday postponed the proposed statewide protest, scheduled to be held on May 2, against the Centre`s decision to impose wealth tax on farmers owning land within eight km of urban areas.
The decision was taken keeping in view the announcement made by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the Parliament today to withdraw the wealth tax, SAD secretary and spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema said.
The announcement to withdraw the tax is a major victory of the party as the Centre was forced to take the decision in view of massive response to the efforts of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his Deputy and SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal to garner support to oppose the wealth tax.
Meanwhile, opposition Congress in Punjab expressed gratitude to the UPA government for exempting agriculture land from wealth tax.
Punjab Congress spokesman Sukhpal Singh Khaira said Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda had made special efforts to convince the UPA government to adopt a pro-farmer line to exempt agriculture land from wealth tax.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Japan's Shinzo Abe may leave tax hike to next PM: Reports
- 17 killed in fire at elderly people's care home in Ukraine
- DLF targets up to Rs 3,500 crore in new sales booking in FY17
- Maanayata, hubby Sanjay Dutt's adorable dance is the most romantic thing you will watch today!
- Development replaces fear in Jeeram Ghati in Chhattisgarh's Bastar district post 2013 Naxal attack