SAD withdraws statewide protest against wealth tax
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal on Tuesday postponed the proposed statewide protest, scheduled to be held on May 2, against the Centre`s decision to impose wealth tax on farmers owning land within eight km of urban areas.
The decision was taken keeping in view the announcement made by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the Parliament today to withdraw the wealth tax, SAD secretary and spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema said.
The announcement to withdraw the tax is a major victory of the party as the Centre was forced to take the decision in view of massive response to the efforts of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his Deputy and SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal to garner support to oppose the wealth tax.
Meanwhile, opposition Congress in Punjab expressed gratitude to the UPA government for exempting agriculture land from wealth tax.
Punjab Congress spokesman Sukhpal Singh Khaira said Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda had made special efforts to convince the UPA government to adopt a pro-farmer line to exempt agriculture land from wealth tax.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why