Sajjan`s acquittal shocking, reinvestigation needed: Sukhir
Chandigarh: Expressing shock and anguish at acquittal of Sajjan Kumar in an anti-Sikh riots case, Shiromani Akali Dal Chief and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Tuesday attacked the Congress saying it would not be allowed to put a lid on the issue.
Stating that the verdict had dashed hopes of people who waited for nearly three decades for justice, he expressed hope that the Supreme Court would take cognisance of the plight of the families of 3000 Sikh victims and order reinvestigation as done in the case of Jagdish Tytler.
In a statement here, he alleged that "a glimmer of hope for justice 29 years after biggest massacre of the century have been dashed due to open complicity of Delhi Police, CBI and their mentor Congress Party".
He said that "it is ironical that the judgement came on a day when CBI itself admitted in the apex court that they get the crucial files vetted by the Congress Ministers especially which Congress leaders were accused", an apparent reference to the Coalgate issue.
The CBI today drew flak from the apex court after its Director Ranjit Sinha, in his two-page affidavit filed in the apex court on April 26, said that the agency`s status report on the coal scam was "shared" with the Law Minister and senior officials of PMO and the Coal Ministry "as desired by them".
Targeting the Congress leadership, he alleged it was bent upon safeguarding "architects of the massacre".
"Shiromani Akali Dal would not allow Congress Party to put a lid on this biggest ever massacre and would continue to fight till all culprits including Sajjan and Tytler were given exemplary punishment," he said.
Calling upon all political parties to come forward "to expose the killers", he said denial of justice to the victims of 1984 riots in the national capital would raise a question mark on the credibility of democratic and judicial system of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY