Sanja Morcha calls for strengthening third alternative in Punjab
Sri Muktsar Sahib (Pb): Sanjha Morcha, conglomeration of various political outfits, today called for the strengthening of the third alternative to defeat the SAD-BJP combine in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Led by former minister Manpreet Singh Badal, estranged nephew of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, the Morcha tried to put up a show of strength on the occasion of annual Maghi fair here.
"Recent political developments have shown that there is space for viable political alternatives in the country, and Punjab will take the lead since the People`s Party of Punjab has already set the ball rolling," Manpreet Singh Badal said today while addressing the gathering at the fair.
Singh called for unity among all "secular forces" to form a solid alliance or third alternative that could take on the established parties.
"People are fed up with misrule of the SAD-BJP government," he said.
He said the PPP "was the first to create this alternative third space (in Punjab), and it shall continue to tread on the same path. The Sanjha Morcha (Common Front) also renews its commitment to provide a clean government," he said.
The PPP leader also called for an immediate CBI probe into the "drug mafia operations in Punjab", stating that it is not possible for the state government to investigate into the scandal, alleging "a member of the ruling cabinet has been accused of involvement in the drug trade".
"If truly there is nothing to hide, there is no reason to fear a CBI investigation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj