Sanjha Morcha breaks up in Punjab
Chandigarh: Ahead of Lok Sabha polls, Sanjha Morcha broke up in Punjab today with Left political outfits declaring to contest polls independently on 13 parliamentary seats in the state.
The Sanjha Morcha, a conglomerate of Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP), SAD (Barnala), CPI and CPI (M) was floated ahead of the last Assembly elections in 2012 with the efforts of SAD (Barnala) head and former Tamil Nadu governor Surjeet Singh Barnala.
PPP supremo Manpreet Singh Badal had parted ways earlier from the morcha and joined hands with Congress. Manpreet is entering the poll arena on PPP`s ticket with backing from Congress on prestigious Bathinda Lok Sabha seat.
CPI national secretary Amarjeet Kaur after holding a meeting of Left parties here today said that CPI will contest Faridkot and Amritsar seats and will not forge any alliance with Congress in Punjab.
While Kashmir Gadayia will be CPI nominee from Faridkot seat, Amritsar seat will be contested by the party`s Amarjeet Asal.
Earlier, speculations were rife that CPI will forge alliance with Congress in Punjab and field its candidate from Faridkot seat with the backing of Congress.
After the meeting, a new `Left front` was constituted in Punjab comprising CPI, CPI (M), CPM (Liberation) and CPI (Pasla).
Kaur did not rule out supporting Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) candidates in the polls.
However, she said that AAP is not an ideological alternative in Punjab.
She described NDA`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi as "communal" and asserted that Modi is a "threat to the country."
She said that the newly-formed Left front will independently contest the 13 Lok Sabha seats in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog