Scrap seller killed in blast at junk dealer`s shop in Punjab
Ferozepur: A scrap seller was killed in a blast after a bomb shell exploded when he hammered it to convince a junk dealer to buy the abandoned scrap shells, police said.
The scrap seller had brought some abandoned old bomb shells at a junk shop located close to cantonment area but the dealer refused to buy them, Deputy Superintendent of Police Vibor Sharma said.
"He was trying to convince the dealer to buy the scrap shells, but the latter refused. The scrap seller remained adamant saying the shells were old and defused and there were no explosives inside them.
"In a bid to prove his point, he went at the back of the junk dealer`s shop and started to hammer the shells to show that they contained no explosives. However, one of the shells went off killing him at the spot," he said.
The scrap seller is yet to be identified since his body was blown into pieces, Sharma said, adding that the police was also investigating into where he procured these shells from.
The dealer was saved as he was not standing close to the spot when the scrap seller was hammering the shells.
A bomb disposal squad, army experts along with senior officials of Army, police and civil administration reached the spot, Deputy Commissioner Manjit Singh Narang said, adding that further investigations were on.
The area has been cordoned off and the remaining shells have been taken into Army`s custody, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India