Scrap seller killed in blast at junk dealer`s shop in Punjab
Ferozepur: A scrap seller was killed in a blast after a bomb shell exploded when he hammered it to convince a junk dealer to buy the abandoned scrap shells, police said.
The scrap seller had brought some abandoned old bomb shells at a junk shop located close to cantonment area but the dealer refused to buy them, Deputy Superintendent of Police Vibor Sharma said.
"He was trying to convince the dealer to buy the scrap shells, but the latter refused. The scrap seller remained adamant saying the shells were old and defused and there were no explosives inside them.
"In a bid to prove his point, he went at the back of the junk dealer`s shop and started to hammer the shells to show that they contained no explosives. However, one of the shells went off killing him at the spot," he said.
The scrap seller is yet to be identified since his body was blown into pieces, Sharma said, adding that the police was also investigating into where he procured these shells from.
The dealer was saved as he was not standing close to the spot when the scrap seller was hammering the shells.
A bomb disposal squad, army experts along with senior officials of Army, police and civil administration reached the spot, Deputy Commissioner Manjit Singh Narang said, adding that further investigations were on.
The area has been cordoned off and the remaining shells have been taken into Army`s custody, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman