Scrap seller killed in blast at junk dealer`s shop in Punjab
Ferozepur: A scrap seller was killed in a blast after a bomb shell exploded when he hammered it to convince a junk dealer to buy the abandoned scrap shells, police said.
The scrap seller had brought some abandoned old bomb shells at a junk shop located close to cantonment area but the dealer refused to buy them, Deputy Superintendent of Police Vibor Sharma said.
"He was trying to convince the dealer to buy the scrap shells, but the latter refused. The scrap seller remained adamant saying the shells were old and defused and there were no explosives inside them.
"In a bid to prove his point, he went at the back of the junk dealer`s shop and started to hammer the shells to show that they contained no explosives. However, one of the shells went off killing him at the spot," he said.
The scrap seller is yet to be identified since his body was blown into pieces, Sharma said, adding that the police was also investigating into where he procured these shells from.
The dealer was saved as he was not standing close to the spot when the scrap seller was hammering the shells.
A bomb disposal squad, army experts along with senior officials of Army, police and civil administration reached the spot, Deputy Commissioner Manjit Singh Narang said, adding that further investigations were on.
The area has been cordoned off and the remaining shells have been taken into Army`s custody, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!