Security of VVIPs being reviewed: Punjab DGP
Chandigarh: The security of VVIPs in Punjab
is being reviewed in the wake of the arrest by Delhi police of
two suspected Babbar Khalsa International terrorists who had
plans to assassinate some religious and political leaders.
"Yes, we are in the process of reviewing security of the
VVIPs," Punjab`s Director General of Police Anil Kaushik told
PTI over phone today.
Without disclosing the names of the VVIPs, mostly top
politicians, Kaushik said they had viewed seriously the
development leading to the arrest of the two terrorists in the
Asked if Delhi police had written to Punjab police asking
it to beef up security of top VVIPs in the state, Kaushik said
so far they had not received any such letter.
Assembly polls in Punjab are scheduled to be held on
January 30 and over the next month there is going to be hectic
movement of the VVIPs across the state for campaigning.
After the arrest of two BKI terrorists on Friday, Delhi
police had claimed that the module had been tasked by BKI
chief Wadhawa Singh and an operative Kulbir Singh to
assassinate three religious leaders in Punjab and Haryana and
some political leaders in Punjab during the upcoming Assembly
The arrested duo -- Sarabpreet Singh alias Prince (30)
and his childhood friend Jaswinder Singh (30) -- were
allegedly waiting for a consignment of assault rifles and
rocket launchers to carry out the strikes, they said.
Jaswinder was arrested from Ropar in Punjab where he was
allegedly recruiting youths to revive insurgency in the State
while Sarabpreet was arrested from Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city