Sending vulgar messages, pix amounts to outraging modesty: HC
Chandigarh: Sending vulgar messages and posting objectionable photographs of young girls on internet tantamount to outraging modesty of woman, the Punjab and Haryana High Court has observed while denying anticipatory bail to an accused.
It said such incidents have been "tremendously increasing day-by-day, ruining the social fabric of our society" and need "to be curbed with heavy hands".
The observation was made by Justice Mehinder Singh Sullar while hearing an anticipatory bail plea of Adarsh Singh who was booked by Amritsar police along with another co-accused on charges of outraging the modesty of a woman and other offences under the IPC and the Information Technology Act, 2000 on April 24 last year.
Rejecting the anticipatory bail plea of the accused, the Judge observed "the learned state counsel has also produced on record the copies of vulgar messages, notes, abuses and objectionable photographs. The abuses and messages etc which were sent by the accused to the complainant, are so vulgar, that it is very difficult to describe them in black and white and the same have been kept in a sealed cover".
There is prima facie sufficient evidence on record to support the allegations assigned to the accused, he noted.
The prosecution had claimed that the marriage of complainant was scheduled to be solemnised on November 28 last year.
"The petitioner has sent very vulgar messages to her and her other relatives for the purpose of extortion. He has blackmailed her by projecting and displaying her objectionable photographs on internet. The complainant did not delete and saved the messages in her mobile phone as a matter of proof," the Judge noted.
The investigating officer obtained the details of messages and photographs of the complainant displayed on the internet and obtained arrest warrants against the petitioner.
"Perhaps, it cannot possibly be denied that, the tendency and frequency of sending such vulgar messages and projecting the objectionable photographs on internet of innocent young girls by such accused, have been tremendously increasing day-by-day, ruining the social fabric of our society, which needs to be curbed with heavy hands," the Judge said.
The order came in December.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!