SET provides alternative platform to job seekers: UGC Chairman
Fatehgarh Sahib (Punjab): State Eligibility Test (SET) provides an alternative platform for teaching job seekers in state colleges and universities, UGC Chairman Ved Prakash said on Saturday.
"Usually, it is the National Eligibility Test (NET) which is conducted by the UGC that determines the eligibility criterion for applying to the post of lecturers (assistant professor) in colleges and universities in the Country.
"SET, conducted by various state governments, could provide alternative platform to candidates seeking jobs as lecturers in state colleges and universities," he said.
He said UGC is making all efforts to promote education in the country.
Regarding granting autonomous college status, he said the UGC grants autonomous status only to those applying colleges, which fulfil the minimum stipulated guidelines framed by it.
The maximum number of such colleges are being opened in Karnatka, Tamilnadu, Andhra Pardesh and Kerala.
Stressing on the need for improving the quality of education, he said, "It is the higher standards of education which will enable the pass outs to get better employment opportunities."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?