Sex ratio improves in Punjab: Health Minister
Ludhiana: Known for its skewed sex ratio,
Punjab has shown considerable improvement in this respect in
the past few years, State Health Minister Laxmi Kanta Chawla
From 798 girls per 1000 boys in 0-6 age group in 2001 the
ratio has now jumped to 850 girls per 1000 boys, she told
She said it had been possible due to the tough measures
taken by the state government to ensure there was no violation
of the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (PNDT) Act.
Talking to mediapersons after addressing a conference of
the Punjab Chemists Association here, she said all civil
hospitals in the state would be equipped with the facility to
conduct dialysis by August 15.
She also said that `Emergency Mobile Rescue Service` for
road accident victims on national highways was also being
shortly introduced in the state.
Meanwhile, she said The Clinical Establishment Bill sent
by the Central government to the states for endorsement will
be presented in the Punjab Assembly during its next session.
The bill which is being opposed by the Indian Medical
Association on the plea that it will unleash a licence raj and
affect family physicians the most, Chawla said the legislation
is being studied by a ministerial committee which will soon
place it before the state cabinet with its recommendations.
Chawla said that after the cabinet acceptance, the bill,
would be presented in the state assembly for approval.
Among other provisions, the proposed law makes it
obligatory for clinical establishments to provide treatment
and stabilise anyone who comes in an "emergency medical
condition" and would apply to all clinical establishments
belonging to any recognised systems of medicine as well as
single doctor establishments with or without beds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth