Sex ratio improves in Punjab: Health Minister
Ludhiana: Known for its skewed sex ratio,
Punjab has shown considerable improvement in this respect in
the past few years, State Health Minister Laxmi Kanta Chawla
From 798 girls per 1000 boys in 0-6 age group in 2001 the
ratio has now jumped to 850 girls per 1000 boys, she told
She said it had been possible due to the tough measures
taken by the state government to ensure there was no violation
of the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (PNDT) Act.
Talking to mediapersons after addressing a conference of
the Punjab Chemists Association here, she said all civil
hospitals in the state would be equipped with the facility to
conduct dialysis by August 15.
She also said that `Emergency Mobile Rescue Service` for
road accident victims on national highways was also being
shortly introduced in the state.
Meanwhile, she said The Clinical Establishment Bill sent
by the Central government to the states for endorsement will
be presented in the Punjab Assembly during its next session.
The bill which is being opposed by the Indian Medical
Association on the plea that it will unleash a licence raj and
affect family physicians the most, Chawla said the legislation
is being studied by a ministerial committee which will soon
place it before the state cabinet with its recommendations.
Chawla said that after the cabinet acceptance, the bill,
would be presented in the state assembly for approval.
Among other provisions, the proposed law makes it
obligatory for clinical establishments to provide treatment
and stabilise anyone who comes in an "emergency medical
condition" and would apply to all clinical establishments
belonging to any recognised systems of medicine as well as
single doctor establishments with or without beds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...