`Shariat panchayat` formed in Punjab
Ludhiana: A `Shariat panchayat` has been set up in Punjab to decide on matters related to marriage, divorce and inheritance of the community.
The `panchayat`, which is claimed to be the first common platform for the community in the state since Independence, was formed at a Muslim conference here on Sunday.
The conference was organised by Punjab state Waqf board chairman Izhar Alam, who along with others, also formed a Muslim welfare and `Shariat` society to look after the welfare of Muslims in the state.
"This was a first common platform formed by Muslims in Punjab after Independence," claimed Alam.
The society will also take up issues related to encroachments on Waqf properties and many other issues.
While addressing the conference Alam said the community in the state was faced with the shortage of space to bury its dead.
"At times they have to go as far as 30 km to perform the last rites while a number of times, they also wait for 2-3 days with the bodies to find some space in the nearest graveyard," the state Waqf chairman said.
"Graveyards is a major problem for the Muslim population in villages and this will be discussed with Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on his visit to Malerkotla along with other issues," he said.
The state level Muslim conference was held at Dana Mandi here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!