Shiromani Akali Dal criticises rail fare hike
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) on Wednesday slammed Congress-led UPA government for announcing a "steep" hike in rail fares, which would put additional financial burden on "hapless" consumers.
The party demanded a rollback while terming the increase in fares as "steep" and an "anti-people" move.
The decision would transfer additional monetary burden on "hapless" passengers, he said.
"The common voters will be ruing the day when they elected UPA government because under UPA regime, essential items have gone out of their reach," SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal alleged in a statement here.
"By raising price of diesel, cooking gas and now rail fare, UPA government has shown its real face to voters," he accused.
Badal, who is also Punjab`s Deputy Chief Minister, alleged, "governments cannot be run by agenda of World Bank and IMF because people elect a government to come out with people-friendly welfare schemes rather than making essential items our of their reach."
He also took a dig at the Centre`s ambitious scheme of Direct Benefit Transfer, claiming it would be beneficial for a very small part of the country`s population.
He criticised Punjab Pradesh Congress chief Amarinder Singh for allegedly not making any statement on issues concerning common people like the rail fare hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing