Shiromani Akali Dal shifts focus on Patiala LS seat
Patiala: Ahead of Lok Sabha elections, the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal in Punjab has shifted focus to Patiala constituency, represented by Congress MP and Union Minister Preneet Kaur since 1999.
"We are collecting feedback from each assembly segment of Patiala and would forward it to SAD high command to take a final call on party candidate for the Lok Sabha seat," Punjab Education minister Sikander Singh Maluka said on the sidelines of a function here on Saturday.
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur, the wife of former Chief Minister Amarinder Singh, has won the seat on three successive occasions since 1999.
When asked about the likely party candidate from the constituency, Maluka said the announcement would be made at an appropriate time.
In the last 15 days, senior Akali leaders including, party president Sukhbir Singh Badal and state minister Bikramjit Singh Majithia among others have attended functions in the Patiala constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Myanmar denies clashes between Indian army, ethnic group
- Black money: Govt to ban cash transactions of above Rs 3 lakh
- Must see pics! Incredible images of lava from Hawaii’s volcano cascading into the ocean (Photo feature)
- A month on, search continues for missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- PM Modi calls for dialogue, accepts development alone can't bring 'lasting solution' to Kashmir