Shiv Sena burns US flag protesting humiliation of diplomat
Phagwara: Activists of Shiv Sena burnt the American flag here in protest against recent humiliation of Indian consular officer in New York Devyani Khobragade who was arrested in for visa fraud and allegedly strip-searched.
Activists led by Sena`s state vice president Inderjit Karwal held a protest march from Hanumangarhi temple and assembled at local bus stand and burnt the American flag yesterday night.
Raising slogans against the US, the activists demanded unconditional apology from the US for its "gross misbehaviour" with India`s lady diplomat.
They demanded dropping of criminal case against her and granting of privileges and diplomatic immunities available to diplomats working for foreign missions accredited to the UN.
Devyani`s arrest had kicked up a diplomatic row and a stand-off between India and the US after which she was transferred as Counsellor at the New York-based Permanent Mission of India to UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister