Shiv Sena burns US flag protesting humiliation of diplomat
Phagwara: Activists of Shiv Sena burnt the American flag here in protest against recent humiliation of Indian consular officer in New York Devyani Khobragade who was arrested in for visa fraud and allegedly strip-searched.
Activists led by Sena`s state vice president Inderjit Karwal held a protest march from Hanumangarhi temple and assembled at local bus stand and burnt the American flag yesterday night.
Raising slogans against the US, the activists demanded unconditional apology from the US for its "gross misbehaviour" with India`s lady diplomat.
They demanded dropping of criminal case against her and granting of privileges and diplomatic immunities available to diplomats working for foreign missions accredited to the UN.
Devyani`s arrest had kicked up a diplomatic row and a stand-off between India and the US after which she was transferred as Counsellor at the New York-based Permanent Mission of India to UN.
- IAF choppers dump water to douse forest fires; Centre sends probe team to Uttarakhand
- ISIS publishes 'hitlist' of 70 US military personnel
- Over 81 percent polling in Bengal assembly polls phase five
- AIADMK government implemented several worker welfare schemes: Jayalalithaa
- Congress criticises Centre for not inquiring Vijay Mallya's transactions