Shiv Sena burns US flag protesting humiliation of diplomat
Phagwara: Activists of Shiv Sena burnt the American flag here in protest against recent humiliation of Indian consular officer in New York Devyani Khobragade who was arrested in for visa fraud and allegedly strip-searched.
Activists led by Sena`s state vice president Inderjit Karwal held a protest march from Hanumangarhi temple and assembled at local bus stand and burnt the American flag yesterday night.
Raising slogans against the US, the activists demanded unconditional apology from the US for its "gross misbehaviour" with India`s lady diplomat.
They demanded dropping of criminal case against her and granting of privileges and diplomatic immunities available to diplomats working for foreign missions accredited to the UN.
Devyani`s arrest had kicked up a diplomatic row and a stand-off between India and the US after which she was transferred as Counsellor at the New York-based Permanent Mission of India to UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'