Shot in arm for Amarinder
Chandigarh: Former Punjab chief minister
Amarinder Singh`s appointment as PCC chief is expected to
intensify the battle between the party and ruling Akali
Dal-BJP combine in a state where fresh assembly polls are just
18 months away.
Singh, often viewed as a lone ranger in state unit of the
party, was given the new responsibility ahead of other
contenders like union minister Ambika Soni, present incumbent
Mohinder Singh Kaypee and party MP Partap Singh Bajwa.
It was a second victory of sorts for Amarinder within a
short period after the Supreme Court had quashed his expulsion
from the state assembly.
Singh was expelled from the state assembly for his alleged
involvement in the Amritsar land allotment scandal.
In his political career of over two decades, he had served
as president of Punjab unit of Congress from 1999 to 2002 and
then as chief minister from 2002 to 2007.
Singh had been vocal in taking on Parkash Singh Badal led
SAD-BJP alliance government for its alleged fiscal mess and
"framing" of Congress workers in false cases.
Controversy too had dogged Singh`s political career
Amarinder, who is also the husband of union minister Preneet
Kaur, after his name was linked with a Pakistani journalist
Political pundits are of the opinion that Singh is the
best choice for the post of PCC chief with assembly polls
barely a year and half away.
Singh, after become chief minister, had pursued strongly
charges of corrpution against Parkash Singh Badal and his son
and now deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh badal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?