Sikh bodies voice solidarity with Gurbakash, seek prisoners` release
Mohali: Several political and social outfits, including Dal Khalsa and SAD (Panch Pardani), on Friday expressed solidarity with Gurbakash Singh who has been on a fast for the past 16 days seeking the release of five Sikh prisoners.
Representatives of Dal Khalsa, SAD (Panch Pardani), Sikh Youth of Punjab and Khalsa Panchayat today visited 48-year-old Gurbakash and announced that they would observe one-day fast on December 2 at Gurdwara Amb Sahib in SAS Nagar.
Gurbakash is seeking the release of five Sikh prisoners -- Lakhvinder Singh, Gurmit Singh, Shamsher Singh (all Burail jail), Lal Singh (Nabha jail) and Gurdeep Singh -- who have been languishing in jails for decades even after serving life sentence handed over to them by various courts in various cases in the 1980s.
Briefing the media, Harcharnjit Singh Dhami, Kanwar Pal Singh, Rajinder Singh and former IAS Gurtej Singh of Dal Khalsa, Satnam Singh Paonta Sahib of SAD (Panch Pardani), and advocate Harpal Singh Cheema of Khalsa Panchayat appealed to the people to join the fast from 10 am to 5 pm on Monday.
They blamed successive governments for adopting a double standard against Sikhs. They urged the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) and the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Prabhandak Committee to come out in support of the cause. They also requested the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal to take up these cases with the Centre to ensure their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says