Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC
Chandigarh: The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) will press for murder charge if anyone desecrates the Sikh holy book, Guru Granth Sahib, SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar said Thursday.
"We will bring a resolution in the next general house of SGPC to demand that anyone violating the Guru Granth Sahib should be booked (for murder)," Makkar said.
"For us the holy book is a living guru. We have taken serious note of recent incidents of desecration," Makkar said adding, "We want such miscreants should get maximum punishment."
The SGPC, with an annual budget of nearly Rs.600 crore, is known as the mini parliament of Sikhs. It manages gurdwaras in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued