Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC
Chandigarh: The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) will press for murder charge if anyone desecrates the Sikh holy book, Guru Granth Sahib, SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar said Thursday.
"We will bring a resolution in the next general house of SGPC to demand that anyone violating the Guru Granth Sahib should be booked (for murder)," Makkar said.
"For us the holy book is a living guru. We have taken serious note of recent incidents of desecration," Makkar said adding, "We want such miscreants should get maximum punishment."
The SGPC, with an annual budget of nearly Rs.600 crore, is known as the mini parliament of Sikhs. It manages gurdwaras in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’