Snubbed by partymen, Amarinder denies rift in Congress
Amritsar: Former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Tuesday denied rift within the state unit of Congress despite getting a cold welcome from his party colleagues during his visit to the grain market here.
Amarinder downplayed queries on political differences with Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PPCC) President Partap Singh Bajwa despite senior party leaders snubbing him during his planned visit.
He said they both had separate roles to play, he as a Congress Working Committee (CWC) member and Bajwa as Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee chief.
Many senior leaders including Congress MLA Om Parkash Soni, who was once considered close, avoided Amarinder while Sukhbinder Singh Sarkaria, who has differences with Bajwa, was seen with the former Chief Minister.
Talking about the defeat of Congress in the previous Assembly polls, Amarinder suggested it must have been due to wrong selection of candidates.
The former CM blamed the Parkash Singh Badal-led SAD-BJP government in the state for the poor purchase of farmers` yields, saying state agencies were not active enough to purchase the agriculture produce of farmers.
Badal should have approached the Centre and sought help to buy farmers` yield, Amarinder said, adding, he had taken up the matter with Congress high-command and the Centre would be sending a team to the state to take stock of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’