Snubbed by partymen, Amarinder denies rift in Congress
Amritsar: Former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Tuesday denied rift within the state unit of Congress despite getting a cold welcome from his party colleagues during his visit to the grain market here.
Amarinder downplayed queries on political differences with Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PPCC) President Partap Singh Bajwa despite senior party leaders snubbing him during his planned visit.
He said they both had separate roles to play, he as a Congress Working Committee (CWC) member and Bajwa as Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee chief.
Many senior leaders including Congress MLA Om Parkash Soni, who was once considered close, avoided Amarinder while Sukhbinder Singh Sarkaria, who has differences with Bajwa, was seen with the former Chief Minister.
Talking about the defeat of Congress in the previous Assembly polls, Amarinder suggested it must have been due to wrong selection of candidates.
The former CM blamed the Parkash Singh Badal-led SAD-BJP government in the state for the poor purchase of farmers` yields, saying state agencies were not active enough to purchase the agriculture produce of farmers.
Badal should have approached the Centre and sought help to buy farmers` yield, Amarinder said, adding, he had taken up the matter with Congress high-command and the Centre would be sending a team to the state to take stock of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Babies affected by Zika prone to eye damage: Research
- Now cancel counter-booked wait-listed train tickets online
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round