Srinagar`s oldest citizen dies at 106
Srinagar: The oldest man in the city died on Thursday at the age of 106 years.
Muhammad Siddiq Parray breathed his last early this morning at the Shivpora residence of his eldest son, Ghulam Qadir.
Parray, who had lived through the times of two Dogra Maharajas -- Pratap Singh and Hari Singh, was witness to a century of Kashmir`s political history.
Born in 1907, he had served in the revenue department. He retired in 1963 as the Office Superintendent of the Revenue Training College and was known to be humble and helpful. His death has been widely mourned.
He is survived by six sons and three daughters, five of whom are settled in the United States, where he himself spent many years.
His body was laid to rest at the Gupkar graveyard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?