Srinagar`s oldest citizen dies at 106
Srinagar: The oldest man in the city died on Thursday at the age of 106 years.
Muhammad Siddiq Parray breathed his last early this morning at the Shivpora residence of his eldest son, Ghulam Qadir.
Parray, who had lived through the times of two Dogra Maharajas -- Pratap Singh and Hari Singh, was witness to a century of Kashmir`s political history.
Born in 1907, he had served in the revenue department. He retired in 1963 as the Office Superintendent of the Revenue Training College and was known to be humble and helpful. His death has been widely mourned.
He is survived by six sons and three daughters, five of whom are settled in the United States, where he himself spent many years.
His body was laid to rest at the Gupkar graveyard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17