Srinagar`s oldest citizen dies at 106
Srinagar: The oldest man in the city died on Thursday at the age of 106 years.
Muhammad Siddiq Parray breathed his last early this morning at the Shivpora residence of his eldest son, Ghulam Qadir.
Parray, who had lived through the times of two Dogra Maharajas -- Pratap Singh and Hari Singh, was witness to a century of Kashmir`s political history.
Born in 1907, he had served in the revenue department. He retired in 1963 as the Office Superintendent of the Revenue Training College and was known to be humble and helpful. His death has been widely mourned.
He is survived by six sons and three daughters, five of whom are settled in the United States, where he himself spent many years.
His body was laid to rest at the Gupkar graveyard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical